Wow. My last post was a year ago.

Well after playing several roguelikes over my one month holiday (alongside my proper work of course), I’ve decided to get my hands dirty and see what I can do. Roguelikes are essentially RPG games with no graphics, thus giving all focus to game play. Having said that, I still like my games to be aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, so I had a go on font creation as well…but that’s another story. With graphics out of the way, I jumped into designing the game play and came out with this idea as the result. You are an agent sent on a mission to investigate an underground research facility that has supposedly been infected with some kind of deadly virus, turning its inhabitants into zombies and various mutated organisms. The goal of the game is simple:

  • Infiltrate the underground research facility.
  • Recover the research data and research outcome.
  • Eliminate everything in your way.

Which brings me to my current position: one week into development. I’ve pulled together a FreeType2 and OpenGL powered engine, partially based on the architecture of all of my previous works (which are mostly abandoned *cough*). Well this project turned out to be much cleaner and elegant, probably due to its turned based nature. Basically the game loop pauses and doesn’t do anything until the user performs an action (key press in most cases), which it then processes and re-renders the screen. The screen is just a large array containing the character and color info represented by each grid cell. In other words, an OpenGL powered console.

So far, I have been able to implement a significant amount of basic features. A main menu, text fields and buttons, a scrolling map, and map representation, just to name a few. Also, binding to Lua, which is really great. No need to worry about map generation for the time being. Nothing much, just a room with doors opening out to nothing.

The main menu.

The main menu.



The player in a room.

The player in a room.

I really have to make a habit of writing about my development progress. I’ll try to remember to post another update next week.